Sunday, September 16, 2007

Pet Talk

Before I came to this city called Mumbai, I had believed that the word “perched” could apply to birds and not to humans. After more than two years in the city, I have changed my notions. Mumbai inhabitation has completely changed my ideas on etymology. Vantage points would now surely mean watching the street brawl from the comforts of my balcony, gently sipping on a cup of steaming tea. And yes, apartmental lives are commonplace so that we can easily perch ourselves in our lofts, the connection with soil being minimal (In this context, as of now I would not venture into the bone of contention of all Maharashtrian poltico, the son of the soil versus the rest, when the son and the rest rarely get in touch with the soil, but for now that is another matter.)

Recently I had a small conversation with a shop owner at the basement of my building, specializing in canine and bovine pet care and one who also trades in pets. I raised the eternal doubt in my mind. For days on end while trudging towards the station, I had always seen that there were always one or the other dog tied to the front of the shop. The one in question today was a cute one with its stomach almost touching the ground. My knowledge of dog breeds is as authentic as my ability to cook a full course Bohemian cuisine (don’t Google for that).

“Do these really get sold?” I asked impertently. What a question to ask! But seriously speaking if you could have seen his way of life, the cars, the regular upgrades at the shop, the ready availability for cash whenever you asked for change to pay the cabby (I did go in once, and he readily handed me five hundreds to me, and hence, encouraged by his love to part with change – a real noble he is who deserved to be kissed on the hand as far as changes are concerned – I have gone in again and again and again to the point that he has almost become my captive money changer.) you could say that he wasn’t doing too badly. “Yes son, they do. And people do not mind a fortune paying for them. The fact is that I do not have any complaints as far as love and caring goes. Most people who take them and provide them a home, give them the right kind of care and love. But the fact is that Mumbaiites' contact with the soil is diminishing by the day and it really takes a toll on their pets. They are really not tailor made for apartment living. They need freedom, a connect with the shrubs, soil, the mud, water. The only time you can see them is during their excretory routines.”

“But don’t you tell the buyers, all these things?” I asked. “I do to most people who are really emotional about their pets. Because I can tell you this really reduces their life span by almost a quarter, but then, this is my trade. To most of the people whom I happily sell are those who own weekend getaways at nearby places.”

“You really like animals. Why don’t you get a pet for yourself?” I asked him.

“I have one. This is the link to get information on my pet. I have adopted one here, for life. Why even you can get one.” he said

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home